Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The Best Experience – My Engagement



            On August 3rd, 2015 I got engaged. I was so shocked and so surprised! The day was disguised as meeting a radio DJ and going out to breakfast with him. I drove to my now fiancé’s house and we started on our journey. We took the Southern State Parkway to Airport Plaza in Farmingdale. I was so excited to meet this radio DJ since I have been waiting to meet him for as long as I was dating my fiancé. I was bouncing out of my seat as we drove to the radio station.
            Once we got to the radio station, my fiancé and walked to the reception area and waited for the radio DJ to come meet us. My fiancé previously interned at K-Joy 98.3 for one school year and then he worked at the radio station for a year or so in high school. The radio DJ, Jim Douglas, grew up in the same town as my fiancé, attended the same Catholic school as my fiancé (and I taught at for a year), but not at the same time, and became close friends with my fiancé. Jim Douglas worked at K-Joy 98.3, Fresh 102.7, and currently works on MaxFM. 

            When Jim Douglas came into the lobby, I was so excited! Jim wanted to interview my fiancé for a radio segment that had to do with successful interns (it was a cover up to get us into the studio). As we enter the studio, a few other radio technicians were in the area: one recorded the segment and one video taped the segment. I thought they wanted to tape the interview for their website and social media pages. Jim started the interview by asking my fiancé questions about where he is now and what he was doing with his life. Then, Jim asked about me and our relationship. As we were talking, my fiancé focused the conversation on spending the rest of our lives together and proposed. I immediately said yes! It is now a memory that we have forever. The interview ended up airing on the radio two days after the actual day of the engagement due to scheduling.

Vocabulary:
1. Engaged:(adj) having formally agreed to marry. 
2. Disguised: (verb) give (someone or oneself) a different appearance in order to conceal one's identity
3. Fiance: (noun) a man who is engaged to be married.
4. Reception Area: (noun) an office waiting room where visitors are greeted and the receptionist sit
5. Interned: (verb) serve as an intern.
6. Interview: (noun) a meeting of people face to face, especially for consultation
7. Segment:(verb) divide (something) into separate parts or sections.

Vocabulary Exercise:
1. The ____________________ of grass is burnt. 
2. The __________________ was very stressful.
3. I _________________ at a school. 
4. The ______________________ of the office was very nice.
5.  My _______________ is a great man. 
6. The mask ____________________ my friend's face.
7. I was ___________________ on August 3, 2015

Adjectives:
  1. Adjectives are words that describe or modify other words, making your writing and speaking much more specific, and a whole lot more interesting
Adjectives Activities:
1. Make a poster of someone in your life that you care about. Write all the adjectives you can think of to describe them with around them on the poster. 
2.  Write a paragraph about your favorite scenery and highlight all the adjectives you use in the paragraph. 
3. Draw a character and only use adjective to describe them. 

http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/adjectives/what-is-an-adjective.html


4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about your engagement. Nice entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great engagement story! Let the planning be fun and stress-free :) I like that you gave 3 options for an adjective activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After all of our time together I had never heard this story! Glad I finally got to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that your topic and grammar activity would create high levels of engagement (no pun intended) for all students. Students often love to learn more about their teacher and they love the opportunity to participate in writing tasks that allow them to share personal stories.

    ReplyDelete